Hello  friends:
   It is my great honor to tell you about the plans for “Links For a
Cure-2001: A golf tournament and family fun day” which will be held in
Peoria and Chillicothe
Illinois on Saturday, July 7th. I have assembled a terrific “dream team”
of volunteers and even I am blown completely out of the water by the
response of our local communities. So far, we have raised at least
$17,500 in sponsorships for our cause. The Methodist Medical Center of
Illinois has pledged $10,000! The Parkinson  Alliance is our guardian
angel-keeping us on the right track and offering invaluable advice &
support. They will get 2/3 of the net profits which will then be matched
dollar for dollar by the Tuchman Foundation & will go straight to
research. The other 1/3 of the net profits will be divided among local
grants and research and the PLWP organization (this is our plan now and
it will be finalized soon).  We start signing up golfers soon and plans
are pretty much in place for our event.
     On Sunday, July 8th, the day after the event, PLWP will present a
symposium with the research scientists and the neurological departments
of the University of Illinois School of Medicine at the campus in
Peoria. We plan this to be a “Meeting of the Minds” and while we hear
about the tremendous work that is being done right here in my
hometown-it will also be our turn to give these terrific doctors
feedback and to allow them to get up close and personal with those of us
who deal with PD daily.
    There will also be an opportunity to lend a helping hand in the week
after the event. One of my girlfriends became paralyzed and is confined
to a wheelchair after a sledding accident and while she is recovering
quite well, she will never be able to walk again. Her house is being
remodeled and the People  with Parkinson’s  (many of whom built a
Habitat For Humanity House in N.C. last year), will be working on her
house this year. We are also making plans to work with the city of
Chillicothe on their Christmas in July program. This program helps
elderly & disabled people get help with their home projects: painting,
repairing, gardening and other things that need to be done.
    If you would like to spend your vacation in the heart of Illinois
and join us-you are certainly welcome. Please email me and let me know
that you are interested and I will make sure that you get the info on
motels, scheduling and I’ll sign you up if you would like to volunteer
to work at the welcome  table or with the raffle & auction  items or
helping to serve  food to our VIP’s, our volunteers, our entertainers
and our dream team. Please let me know as soon as you can. It would be
our pleasure to have you join us!!

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder     49/11
http://www.geocities.com/joanbsnyder/