'Love is care in action': Dr. Patch Adams

Wednesday 18 April 2001 - Patch Adams, the doctor whose life inspired the
hit movie of the same name, clowns around during a lecture at Centrepointe
Theatre last night.

Dr. Patch Adams challenged a house full of adults to challenge their fear
of judgment and make a commitment to be universally friendly while
celebrating life every day.

The West Virginia doctor made famous around the world when Robin Williams
played him in the movie Patch Adams, gave a public lecture to about 1,000
people last night at Centrepointe Theatre in Nepean.

Dr. Adams came to Ottawa as the keynote speaker at Lighten Up, a conference
held yesterday and today at the Royal Ottawa Hospital, aimed at bringing
the joy back to health care workers and teaching humour strategies to
positively influence patient care.

Many in the audience were participants in the conference, and came dressed
in clown gear.

Dr. Adams said he was dressed as usual, in a riotous pair of blue pants and
a green shirt, an Archie's tie and one yellow, and one blue, sock.

His long grey hair was tied back in a pony tail and the right half was dyed
blue

Though he made the audience of about 1,000 laugh frequently by his humorous
stories and antics involving a Whoopie Cushion and fake dog excrement, Dr.
Adams was serious about his message.

"We are so far away from love I believe in our society that to love is to
be a sucker," he said.

Dr. Adams, who in 1971 founded the Gezundheit! Institute, dedicated to
treating patients with humour and compassion, and has been clowning around
the world for as many years, said power and money are the gods our society
worships, leaving no place for love, even in health care institutions that
purport to care.

"Institutions don't like the word love," he said.

"If they don't like the word love you can bet they don't like the word care.

"And love is just care in action."

Dr. Adams said his clowning -- with patients, with everyone he meets -- is
"the gimmick to sneak the love in."

Audience member Paul Bertrand said he thought that if people took Dr.
Adams's message seriously, and if enough people heard it, the world could
be greatly changed.

"If he could touch enough people he will do a lot of good," Mr. Bertrand said.

Tomorrow, Dr. Adams will speak to conference participants and students in a
public school in Killaloe, where the chairman of Gezundheit!, Dr. Blair
Voyvodic, has a practice.

Janet Hunter
Rebecca Stevenson
The Ottawa Citizen
Copyright 2001 CanWest Interactive,
a CanWest company.
All rights reserved

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
PD: 54/41/37 CD: 54/44/43 TEL: 613 256 8340 EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
"a new voice" home page: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/     .