hi all

the circumstances around peter flintermann's falls still concern me,
from the "this-parky-could-be-me" frame of reference

despite some comments to the contrary
in re dissimilar patient situations,
i have expressed doubt that peter's falls are muscular in origin
simply because of peter's history, as camilla has shared it

balance problems are an important secondary symptom of pd
ergo they are neurological in origin not muscular

as i understand it
peter has not suffered from falls much at all prior to last december,
just five months ago

he was diagnosed with pd 12 years ago
i was diagnosed with pd 13 years ago

i know we are all different etc etc ...

but when a symptom changes or develops comparatively quickly
it strikes me that something other than pd's normal slow progression
is at work.

apparently, his neuro wants to 'insist' that peter use the walker;
maybe from peter's (apparently obstinate) point of view,
the walker couldn't possibly help him, since the falls happen without warning;
maybe he fears suddenly falling and getting entangled (or worse)
in the walker itself due to the aforementioned suddenness
but can't express his fears clearly

just as we may tend to attribute every ache and pain we have to "the pd"
i wonder if there might be a tendency to dismiss every "obstinacy"
to "the dementia" or to "cognition problems"

there, but for grace, go i

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
PD: 54/41/37 CD: 54/44/43 TEL: 613 256 8340 EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
"a new voice" home page: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/     .