Dear friends,
please forgive me for not spending more time replying to the ones of you who've
written, or getting back to the ones who've asked about me. My lady and I are
still living and loving in wisconsin - and it's still too damn cold here too :>)
things have gotten kinda hectic in our lives, and we have had some struggles
with health and finances.  But we are taking things one day at a time, and
trusting in the lord to carry the hard stuff.  For those of you expecting a
newletter, hang on, i am trying to get it out this week.  For those who would
like a pre-edition, I think I have about a hundred left, so send me a stamped
envelope and i will send you a copy. Better yet, send twelve bucks and I will
sign you up for a year - then you can wonder with the rest when the next
edition is going to show up...smiling.

we are trying, and i am writing when i can.  But things have been a struggle
for us too.

anyway, here are a few poems, some I like, some not so hot. let me know if you
like 'em, or hate 'em or whatever, I love to get feed back.

and for those who don't like poems on the list, well.... i hope you've already
deleted this, cause what you see in the header is what you get....
bob aka tex and idlewild, his lovely Janine

                        A HOMECOMING

my thoughts drift south,
like leaves floating down a river
to a dirty old dog
wearing a ragged old brown coat,
with a white ruff collar
it’s been so long since I’ve seen him
and I wonder what his reaction will be
when I  pull into the drive

i think about a boy
grown into a man
wearing dirty blond hair
and eyes the color of the sky
it’s been so long since I’ve seen him
and I wonder what his reaction will be
when I pull into the drive

my thoughts swirl round and round
like flotsam caught in a whirlpool
spinning through dreamlets of future possibilies
will they run to meet me, grinning and barking in joy?
or will they stand off and stare
with the flat gaze of warning
as if i am a stranger to them now.

i see my reflection in the glass
and i am amazed at how much i’ve aged
pain lines making my face into a strangers
some old man, who doesn’t show the laugh lines I feel
and where did this pot belly come from?
and I wonder what my reaction will be
when I pull into the drive

should I shake hands, or hug him
will I be able to show the love I feel,
or will I wear this stranger’s mask
will he let me hold him,
will he see behind this frozen face
and I wonder what our reactions will be
when I pull into the drive

just a dirty old dog, who loves me
just a beat up old man, who shakes
both loving a boy, with dirty blond hair
it sure as hell doesn’t feel like coming home
and I wonder what the reaction will be
when I pull into the drive

bob armentrout copyright 2001

Congratulations! Your poem entitled "One Smile at a Time" has been chosen as a
FINALIST in the 13th Tri-Annual Blue Mountain Arts Poetry Contest! You will
soon be able to send your poem as an electronic greeting card on the
www.bluemountainarts.com Web site!

Again, congratulations, and thank you for entering our contest!

Warmest regards,
Puahau Aki
Editorial Department
************

One Smile At A Time

The weather outside is dark, cold
Wind moaning and snow falling.
But when I look at your face,
It's springtime in my heart.
Bank clocks show temperatures
With lower numbers than I've ever seen
But when I hold your hand
I think of circuses and clowns.
Radio announcers speak
With forced seriousness
About wind chills of minus 30,
And dangers outside
But your smile reminds me
Of green grass and daisies.
Snow surprised me
By being so cold and wet
And natives in this frozen wasteland
Tell me how dreary and gloomy
This cold weather is
But your joy of life is contagious
And my own awe of the beauty in the snow,
Brings you more happiness.
And together, we will brighten the world
With our love,
One smile at a time.

bob armentrout copyright 2000

This message was sent using Midwest Tel Net Web Based Mail.
http://www.mwt.net/