Hi Michael, Lorraine, and list members,

Congressman Upton's district includes Kalamazoo,
home, I believe, of one of the pharmaceutical companies--
the maker of  one of the newer PD meds (Can someone fill in the
two details, please? Is it the manufacturer of
Mirapex - pramipexole?)

So, Rep. Upton's support  for previous legislation
beneficial to the PD community is partially derived from
the make-up of the job market in his area of Michigan.

If it seems that stem cell advocacy is less attractive
or compelling to him, stem cell advocates might
look at ways that such advocacy benefits  his
constituents economically.

Ivan Suzman
:-)

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:03:05 -0700 mary yost <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Mike Claeys asked that this message be posted to the PIEN list,
> adding "I
> just can't help staying involved in advocacy.":  [Thanks, Mike!]
>
> Mary Yost, [log in to unmask]
>

> "On Thursday, April 12, Lorraine Jeffe asked why long-time
> Parkinson's
> advocate Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI) is not a cosponsor of
> Congresswoman
> Carolyn Maloney's (D-NY) H.CON.RES.17, a House bill expressing the
> sense of
> the Congress supporting Federal funding of pluripotent stem cell
> research.
>
> Good question.  Why not call Congressman's Upton's office in D.C. at
> (202)
> 225-3761 and ask him yourself?  We just paid our taxes, that should
> be worth
> an answer, right?
>
> And just so you know I'm not picking on Mr. Upton or Lorraine -- I
> am a big
> fan of both -- every Listserve member can and should call your
> Representative and two Senators by dialing the Congressional
> Operator at
> (202) 224-3121 and asking for your legislators by name, or by giving
> the
> operator your home state or zip code.
>
> Tell your legislators what you think.  Tell them to support
> increased
> funding for Parkinson's research: a $143 million dollar increase at
> NIH and
> $50 million for the  Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Research Program
> at the
> Department of Defense.  Tell them to support federal funding of stem
> cell
> research, and to tell President Bush to do the same.  Tell them to
> lower
> taxes if you want... just get involved!
>
> If you have any questions about who to call or what to do, please
> contact
> the new Washington, D.C. office of the Parkinson's Action Network at
> (703)
> 518-8877 -- they are there to help you make your voice heard.
>
> And you can always contact me at the information below.  Together we
> can
> help beat Parkinson's in this decade.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Michael Claeys
> Research Policy Coordinator
> The Michael J. Fox Foundation
>    for Parkinson's Research
> 381 Park Avenue South, Suite 820
> New York, NY 10016
> (212) 213-3525, ext. 207
> (212) 213-3523 - fax

> mailto:[log in to unmask]

 Ivan Suzman        51/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)