MJ Fox awarded a grant to a Harvard M.D. for a caffeine study. The
abstract claims a neuroprotective effect for caffeine. The abstract can
be found at  http://www.michaeljfox.org/flash/grant_main.html .

I sent the author a note indicating that I routinely consumed 32 to 48
ounces of caffeinated tea per day for over 25 years. I was still
diagnosed with PD at 46. I also indicated that both caffeine and
nicotine may have nothing to do with disease progression. However, a
useful study may be one that studies the sensitivity to stimulants and
depressants of pre PD patients versus the general population. Maybe we
are more sensitive and thus consume less. If true then maybe we are also
more prone to environmental toxins that trigger our PD.

A lot of giant leaps here, but in my opinion no greater than those of
nicotine or caffeine studies.

Phil Gesotti

51/DX46