-----Original Message-----
From: Sid Levin <[log in to unmask]>
I received a request asking if anyone knows anything about
the following  and
the use of Glutathione?  Anyone?
*************

Abraham Lieberman, NPF Medical Director, recently wrote
this:

"The body under normal circumstances takes glucose and uses
it to produce energy. There are several pathways in which
this energy is produced. One them is through a pathway
called the hexose monophosphate shunt (abbreviated HMP). In
addition to generating energy energy to power the batteries
in each cell the HMP shunt generates glutathione;
glutathione is a naturally occurring chemical that is
present in cells and it is a defense against free radicals
and other naturally generated toxins. Remember – as each one
of your body cells produces energy in a part of the cell
called the mitochondria it also generates toxic wastes. They
are naturally occurring toxic wastes but they are toxic
wastes! Glutathione protects the body against them.
Glutathione is present in the cells of the substantia nigra
and glutathione is defecient in pd but this is another story
and, at present, unrelated to what i am now writing about.
Glutatathione in red blood cells is generated through an
enzyme called glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase (abbreviated
G6PD)."

Back in June 2000, he wrote:   "there are theoretical
reasons why this [i.e., glutathione] may help but it is an
unproven treatment – its efficacy and safety remain unknown"

In Dec 2000, he wrote: "the facts are we do not know if
glutathione does or does not cross the blood brain barrier
in humans  we know it doesn't cross from the
gut into the blood stream which is why we use it
intravenously
and we do not know the dose  which is another reason for the
study"

In April 2001, he wrote:  "we are in the process of studying
glutathione" [I think this refers to a trial of intravenous
glutathione at U of Miami]

I think that Lieberman is considered a very reliable source.

Ben Winter