     Post: 081239
     Date: 6 Jun 2000
     From: Barbara Patterson
     Subj: Welcome to our new members & reminder the rest of us

     I am including the 'welcome' message to our new members & a reminder
     to all members to post messages in plain text only...no attachments.
     I suggest that members not open attachments due to the number of
     viruses being spread on the internet.  Barb

     Welcome!

     You have joined the PARKINSN mailing list, also
     known as the Parkinson's Information Exchange
     Network (PIEnet).

     Please send a message to the list members (if you
     want to) introducing yourself and any
     Parkinson's-related topics you would like.

     Let me introduce myself. I am a secretary for four
     faculty members in the School of Nursing, McMaster
     University.  In September, 1992, I was diagnosed
     as having Parkinson's ... hence my interest in
     this list.

     My purpose in starting the list was the exchange
     of information about Parkinson's. The list rapidly
     changed into the largest support group I know.
     Besides its original purpose, the list has become
     'a means of feeling connected' to others... a way
     of feeling we're not alone... of making the road
     of living with pd easier to bear.

     I have always felt that we hear each other better
     on the list because we can't  see each other.
     Symptoms, age, colour, race, don't interfere.  The
     list knows no countries, has nothing to do with
     money... there's no "what's in it for me?"

     But these same qualities mean our words are open
     to misinterpretation. Since others can't see our
     wry smile or wink or hear our tone of voice, a
     goal of  keeping it "short & sweet" can result in
     appearing abrupt.

     Also, the same word can have different meanings
     and different shades of meaning to different
     people in different areas of the world so care
     must be taken in both your writing and your
     reading of the messages.

     Flaming and selling are not allowed.  Please send
     messages in plain text only.  Do not make any
     changes in medication or any treatments without
     consulting your physician.  Be kind.  Be honest.
     Share the time fairly.... if you think you have
     taken more than your share of the list resources,
     you just might have.

     Keep it generally related to Parkinson's. Don't
     abuse the generosity of the University of
     Toronto's free gift of the list. Don't include all
     of the message to which you are replying. Use
     plain text with no attachments. Wash your hands
     with soap before you eat. :) In other words, use
     the same common courtesy that you would elsewhere.

     We need everyone's voices if we are going to make
     a difference in the care and treatment of pd and
     the motivation and funding of research. Speak up.
     Tell your story. Ask your questions. Answer
     questions. Debate/argue about the answers.
     Debate/argue about the goals, administration,
     day-to-day functioning of the list. Tell a joke...
     but please don't attempt to silence anyone else's
     voice.

     The messages on the Parkinsn list may be personal
     but they are NOT private... never have been. The
     illusion of privacy when using e-mail is just
     that:  an illusion.

     Never, in the history of this planet, has this
     kind of relationship existed. We meet in a place
     that has no walls. We talk to our friends whom we
     have never seen. We care deeply for other members
     whom we will never physically hug. Folks, we're
     making it up as we go along, so any rules have to
     be flexible.

      I hope you enjoy your involvement with the
     Parkinsn Information Exchange Network.

      Barb
     The Short Version:

     List Address:
     for posting a message to the PARKINSN listmembers:

     Command Address:
     for sending a command to the LISTSERV computer:

     To obtain a list of the commands
     that the listserv recognizes:
           HELP

     To obtain your current subscription options:
           QUERY PARKINSN

     To receive copies of your own messages:
           SET PARKINSN REPRO

     To change from individual messages
     to the digest format:
           SET PARKINSN DIGEST

     To change back to individual messages
     from the digest format:
           SET PARKINSN NODIGEST

     To stop incoming mail temporarily:
           SET PARKINSN NOMAIL

     To resume incoming mail:
           SET PARKINSN MAIL

     To stop incoming mail permanently
     and terminate your subscription:
           SIGNOFF PARKINSN

     To subscribe, send this command:
          SUBSCRIBE PARKINSN YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME