Date sent:              Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:57:15 -0400
Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
From:                   Greg Leeman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Bouncing
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Have you considered a pallidotomy.  The major effect is the end of the
> awful dyskinesias we all seem to suffer from after the drug honeymoon
> wears off. I have been told by several leading neurosurgeons that
> while pallidotomy is destructive, it does not preclude any future
> operations from being done.

Pallidotomy, in many situations, is becoming an obsolete procedure
(again).  The "gold standard" in cases such as described above is
deep brain stimulation (DBS), and this does not result in a destructive
operation.  I am most familiar with the work of Dr. Gary Heit at Stanford
University Medical Center (California), but there are many other
centers doing this work as well.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"