-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 10:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ether

Interesting thought about inhalation of Ether for General Anesthesia
as a risk factor or triggering agent for PD.  While environmental
exposure to some "toxin" is an attractive theory but I doubt that
Ether inhalation could have been a problem.

1. Anesthetic Ether is a simple two carbon compound which is
di-ethyl ether and is an extremely stable substance and unlikely to
be a triggering agent.

2. Since the mid 50's, the use of Ether in the USA has almost
completely disappeared, while the incidence of PD has not fallen
to reflect a decrease in exposure to a triggering agent.  If anything,
as the use of Ether has declined, the incidence of PD has gone up
and done so in an age group that has an increasing amount of
exposure to Anesthetics than younger individuals.

Ken Janis, MD
Anesthesiologist