Pam,
I was faced by a somewhat similar situation -- shortly after my diagnosis
5 years ago, I broke my foot, then a few days later, broke my hand -- the
result of falling from trying to unwisely hop on my good foot. I couldn't
work for about 2 months. At the time I had 2 part-time jobs - neither
offered sick leave, disability coverage or any type of job security -
part timers could be dismissed at any time. I lost one of the jobs (and
was later rehired when I could return to work, only because they hadn't
found a replacement yet).The second employer agreed to hold my job for me
until I could return. Ironically the first employer (where I had worked
for only a year) did not know about my PD, the second (emplyed there for
about 6 years) did.
Legal matters aside, alot I think depends on your employer and your
relationship with them.

But legally,  these are very complicated issues you are dealing with --
the ADA, Social Secuity Disability regulations, in addition to your
employer's policies. I agree with everyone else who wrote that you should
consult a lawyer - one who is well-versed in disability and employment
rights. If you happen to live near a law school, they might have a
disability rights legal clinic or might be able to refer you to a lawyer
.

Here are some good web sites that may be helpful for background
information :
APDA Young Parkinson's Information and Referral Center: Online Articles
on Disability:
Applying for Disability-Fall/ Winter 1997
Employment: What Does The Americans With Disabilities Act Mean To
You?-Summer 2000
Helpful Social Security Disability Resources-Summer/Fall 1998
http://members.aol.com/apdaypd/young/index.html

JAN on the Web: Job Accommodations Network
http://www.jan.wvu.edu/

Accommodating Parkinson's Disease for possible solutions and ideas for
workplace problems of PWP:
http://www.jan.wvu.edu/media/PD.html

JAN also provides extensive links to web resources on the Americans with
Disabilities Act
http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu:80/links/adalinks.htm

Parkinsn (PIEN Website) Current Topics:
What Parkinsonians Should Know About Social Security Disability
http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/archive/011
.html
and
Disability Evaluation under Social Security
http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/archive/012
.html

Parkinson's Disease and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) -
Greg Sterling's web site
http://pd_ssdi.homestead.com/ssdi.html

Hope it will all work out well for you,
Linda Herman