Everybody: CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION. If the book referred to is something like
"Prescription for Nutritional Healing" or close to it. It is by a Dr. and his
wife who as I recollect is a nutritionist. Sorry to be so vague but I have to
go from memory because I THREW THE DAMNED THING OUT. These people are quacks.
A friend gave me this book when she found out I had Parkinson's. I had just
found out myself and knew very little beyond what my taciturn Neuro told me.
I belonged as yet to no lists. I read the section in this book on PD which
informed me that me and most like me would be dead in ten years (that's the
MD quack talking). It also advised that I should limit my Protein intake to 7
grams DAILY (that's the utritionist/dietician or whatever she claims she,
quacking). I suppose the latter advice is to make sure the former prediction
comes true. Seriously, stay away from this book. It is severely flawed.

As for CO Q10, there was a study (and may still be) in which the participants
were taking 600, 900, and 1200 mg daily. I presume there was a control group
as well but that's not germane to my answer. It was being conducted at a
number of sites including somewhere in Philly and somewhere upstate NY, maybe
Albany. I tried to join but they wanted people who were not yet on any
medication so I wasn't eligible. The nurse coordinator for the Philadelphia
study chatted with me for a while and I learned at least that no one, at any
dose, had had any serious adverse reactions. So I decided to try it and we
agreed that I would be a member sub-rosa and call her from time to time and
report anything there might be to report. I built to 900 mg/day at 100
mg/week intervals and took the 900 mg probably for a year without adverse
reaction. Then I developed an edema problem and systematically stopped taking
everything (including Requip and Selegiline) too try to find the culprit.
Haven't found it yet and it wasn't the CO Q10 so I'm on my way back up again
to 900. For some reason the study nurse stopped returning my calls and
answering my e-mail. Perhaps she was concerned that she would be accountable
if something went wrong with me. That's not my style but she can't know that.

Anyway, beware that horrible book!

Paul H. Lauer