i saw this news

http://molecularmedicine.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2001/04/04.23/20010420scie001.html

and then looked it up at Pub Med

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

this is great news for gene therapy without viral vectors, etc...
CLEAN

     as our understanding of HIV has grown...
     i have seen proposals to use it as a vector for gene therapy

what does this have to do with PD?

inserting genes in cells transforms them
triggers other genes
supplies missing genes
      (your own cells with dopamine turned on?)

this may be necessary to control stem cells
especially those cranky "adult" stem cells
or provide stable, standardized, supportive, laboratory cell lines

enough for now

J Investig Med 2001 Mar;49(2):184-90

New technique for gene transfection using laser irradiation.

Shirahata Y, Ohkohchi N, Itagak H, Satomi S.

Division of Advanced Surgical Science and Technology, Graduate School of
Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan. [log in to unmask]

BACKGROUND: We have developed a gene transfection system using laser beams. The
principle of this procedure is that a small hole is made in a cell membrane by
pulse laser irradiation, and a gene contained in a medium is transferred into
the cytoplasm through the hole. This hole disappears immediately with the
application of laser irradiation of the appropriate power. METHODS: A pulse-wave
Nd:YAG laser with a wavelength of 355 nm was used to make a hole in a cell
membrane. To trap a cell, a continuous-wave Nd:YAG laser with a wavelength of
1015 nm was used. Plasmids that encode the enhanced green fluorescent protein
(EGFP) gene were contained in a medium and transferred to HuH-7 and NIH/3T3
cells with pulse laser irradiation. We evaluated transfection efficiency on the
basis of the number of cells that expressed EGFP. Stimulatory protein 2
cells in
suspension were fixed using a trapping laser and the neomycin-resistance gene
was transfected by pulse laser irradiation. We examined cell proliferation in
the selection medium. RESULTS: Cells that expressed EGFP were recognized in the
group that was irradiated by pulse laser. No cells expressed EGFP without
irradiation. Transfection efficiency was approximately 10% at a plasmid
concentration of 10.0 microg/mL. At concentrations greater than 20 microg/mL,
the transfection rate reached a plateau. We also successfully transfected
neomycin-resistance genes to cells floating in suspension after fixation that
was achieved with trapping laser irradiation. CONCLUSIONS: This method enables
us to transfect targeted cells, ie, cells in suspension as well as attached
cells, with a simple technique that does not involve harmful vectors. The
present method is very useful for gene transfection in cellular biotechnology.

PMID: 11288759 [PubMed - in process]

                                 Ray Strand
                             Prairie Sky Design
 -----------------(   on  the Edge of the Prairie Abyss  )---------------