go to this site for the full article
the copyright is Reuter's

http://molecularmedicine.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2001/04/04.24/20010423drgd006.html

we know of the Parkinson/smoking connection
(possible neuro-protective effect of smoking in statistical results of
epidemiological study)
(the same is said of coffee drinkers)

we speculate about the
"genetics is the gun--environment is the trigger" causes of PD

Pharmacogenetics Are Us

> Pharmacogenetic Finding May Influence Smoking Cessation Treatments
>

> DANA POINT, CA (Reuters Health) Apr 23 - In what's being termed the first finding of its kind, researchers have demonstrated that a dopamine receptor gene polymorphism appears to influence the response of cigarette smokers to smoking cessation therapy that includes an antidepressant medicine.
>
> "What we were all excited about in this study was that this was a demonstration of a pharmacogenetic effect," Dr. Paul M. Cinciripini, of the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston said on Sunday at the American Cancer Society Science Writers Seminar. "That is, we were able to give a particular drug to a group of people who were characterized on the basis of their genetic profile, and show that this drug could work better for them than it could work for others."
>
> The researchers genotyped 134 smokers to determine whether they carried the A1 or A2 allele of the DRD2 gene. Individuals with at least one copy of the A1 allele of the gene have fewer and less-sensitive D2 dopamine receptors than do individuals with two copies of the A2 allele.

<<<<<<<<<<<   snip     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> But he argues that genotyping may well come to play an important role in guiding clinical decisions. "Up until very recently it's been 'one size fits all,' and what we're trying to say over on the behavioral end as well as on the pharmacologic end is that maybe that's not such a good idea."
>

> Copyright © 2000 Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly
>prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not
be liable for any errors or delays in the
>content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

                                 Ray Strand
                             Prairie Sky Design
 -----------------(   on  the Edge of the Prairie Abyss  )---------------
                          when  the  sky  is  clear