Ignore Jane's warning.  The file it tells you to delete is actually a
perfectly innocent operating file in your windows system, one that
governs long filenames.

Here's a note from a hoax list that was forwarded to another list I
belong to:
mail.

HOAX INFO

Several users of this anti-virus list have received the following
warning, hence, I am sending you information mailer on this
particular hoax.

Virus Alert

Body:

  It was brought to my attention yesterday that a virus is in
  circulation via email. I looked for it and to my surprise I found
  it on mine. .. please follow the directions and remove it from yours
  TODAY!!!!!!!

  I do not know how long it has been on my computer, but no Virus
  software can detect it. It will become active on June 1, 2001. It
  might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on the
  hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the
  'C:\windows\command'folder. To find it and get rid of it off of your
  computer,do the following.

  [etc.  don't do it.]

  The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY E-
  mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have found
  this virus on their computers. Please help your friends !!!!!!!!

  DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE and NORTON CANNOT
  DETECT IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST.
  WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

***REMEMBER the above information is UNTRUE!!! This is just a SAMPLE
of the HOAX!

Additional Comments:

There are several variations of the same message in english and
other languages that are going around, but basically the message
tells you about SULFNBK.EXE and gives you steps on how to remove it.
Do not follow the instructions.  SULFNBK.EXE is a file that is
supposed to be included with your windows platform, it is a 'long
filename' utility that allows you to recover 'long filenames' in your
directories.

The file SULFNBK.EXE is a file that should normally be found
'uninfected' within the windows directories, however, the
<http://www.topica.com/lists/shorty_antivirus/read/message.html?mid=7
0 virus/worm is able to send out an infected version of this file.
Most up-to-date anti virus programs will easily find MAGISTR on an
infected computer.  It is important to remember that if you do get a
copy of SULFNBK.EXE forwarded to you in your e-mail, delete it
without running the attachment.

The preceding information was carefully researched by Shorty using the
following references:

F-Secure:
http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/sulfnbk.shtml

McAfee:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99084

Sophos:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/sulfnbk.html

Symantec:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

Many thanks in advance for the above named references for allowing
me to post links to their informative sites.

To learn more about Shorty's Anti-Virus List, go to:
http://www.mts.net/~cpurll/AntiVirus.html

SEARCH for one of Shorty's PAST VIRUS or HOAX WARNINGS at:
http://www.topica.com/lists/shorty_antivirus/read

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~