You'll want to be reading women writing about Alberta and such.  Aritha Van
Herk comes first to my mind.  She has written several novels but has also
edited several books of Alberta (and western) short stories.  The most
recent is "Due West: 30 great stories from Alberta, Saskatchewan, and
Manitoba" edited by Wayne Tefs et al. and published in 1996 by Coteau in
Regina, NeWest in Edmonton, and Turnstone in Winnipeg.

Another essential would be "Obasan" by Joy Kogawa, the story of the internal
detainment in Alberta of Japanese Canadians during the second world war.

Katherine Govier is an Alberta writer who now lives in Toronto.  Her novel
"Between Men" is the only one that I remember that is set in Alberta.  She
has a web site www.govier.com that you could consult for more recent work.
She is interested in teen culture bumping up against a classical education
("The Truth Teller") and photography ("The Immaculate Conception Gallery"
and "Angel Walk").  She's an interesting writer.

Maybe the university of Calgary's library web site would be a good source of
information (www.ucalgary.ca/library)

I'm sorry I won't be at Inkshed this year.  It will be the first time I've
missed since my first Inkshed in Banff in the early nineties.

Laura Atkinson
Education Analyst
Manitoba Teachers' Society
191 Harcourt Street