I checked it out, but the WPA (Writing Program Administration) archives are
an amazing resource--I can't access this from home (have to use the newer
computer in my office) but here's the info I have written in my notes from
the WPA conference in July last summer:

to sign up, go to <LISTS.ASU.EDU/ARCHIVES/WPA-L.HTML>

You can search the archives by author, subject, and date and there are 1000
members of WPA.  I don't know if you have to be a dues-paying member to
access this stuff, but I know that when I was on the WPA listserv, I
couldn't cope with the amount--it seemed as if 25 messages a day went
flying by, and even the archived versions (sent as one long message at the
end of each day) were too long for me to read daily and just clogged up my
e-mail.  So searching the archive is much more useful.  WPA's and Writing
Center Directors were writing in for help or to give help on every
conceivable topic, and giving each other useful references to published
research on a whole range of topics.
I also have in my notes, Send a message to  <[log in to unmask]
                         LISTSERV COMMANDS:  <[log in to unmask]>
The WPA web page is, I think, just www.wpa.org, but as I say, I'm not in my
office where I can check my bookmarks.
I think it would be mutually advantageous to Inkshed and WPA for us to
develop some kind of formal affiliation, myself.  They need to be more
aware of the Canadian situation, and they have lots of resources and ideas
we could make use of (like the consultant evaluator program--I was
suggesting to Russ and a few others that we ought to set up one like it in
Inkshed, with a list of names of Canadian scholars who have done reviews of
Canadian writing programs and who would be available to do those in the
future.  A page on the Inkshed website could outline usual fees, timelines,
etc. and give a list of possible consultant evaluators and their experience
and credentials).
Victoria, if you try out these WPA commands, let me know if they still
work! --I'll try to check out if one has to be a WPA member to access this
material, but I don't think so.  When I'm in my office next week, I'll try
to check it all out again.  I do remember coming across something recently
that made clear that online courses worked best for capable, articulate
independent learners (exactly what everyone else is saying)--I'll try to
remember where it was I read that.
All best, Betsy

At 12:02 PM 2001/05/18 AST4ADT, you wrote:
>I don't have any to hand, but I bet references to published studies
>substantiating some of the things we all know are true about
>remediation, on-line courses, etc., would be more help to Victoria
>than a chorus of vociferous "no"s from a clearly unauthoritative (in
>the eyes of an administrator) group like Inkshedders.  Anybody know
>any offhand, or know how to find them quickly?
>
>                                  -- Russ
>                                __|~_
>Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
>St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
>Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
>E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
>                          \                /
>      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

>the annual conference, and publications, go to the Inkshed Web site at
>         http://www.StThomasU.ca/inkshed/

M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Writing Coordinator
English Department