Fred Stenson's _The Trade_ (nominated this year for the Giller Prize) is
set in what became Alberta.  It's an excellent book about the history of
Alberta.  Tom Wharton's _Icefields_ is also very good -- it's set in the
mountains, around Jasper.

Dale

 Dr. Dale Jacobs
English Language, Literature, and Creative Writing
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, ON
N9B 3P4
Phone: (519)253-3000 ext. 2309
Fax: (519)971-3676

                    Marcy Bauman
                    <marcyb@umich        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    .edu>                cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Novels set in Alberta?
                    CASLL/Inkshed

                    05/07/01
                    12:15 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    CASLL/Inkshed

Hallooooo, Inkshedders!

I, like many of you, am caught in the throes of last-minute preparation for
Inkshed.  No, that *doesn't* mean I'm sweating over my paper (there are
plenty more last minutes for *that*) -- I'm sweating over [a]  what I might
do on talent nite and [b] -- this is the part you can help me with --
rounding up a suitable novel to read on the plane.

I'm looking for something set in Alberta.  That's really the only
requirement, although I should note that I'm not big on romances or
mysteries . . . (or westerns, either, but given the venue I might have to
compromise, I guess . . . )

Thanks for any help you can give, and see you Saturday!

Marcy

                           Marcy Bauman
                         Media Consultant
                       College of Pharmacy