I agree completely with Janice's "incoherent" comments. When you link the
course and the writing instruction, make sure lots of critical thinking
happens around the papers. You might want to re-check Mike Rose's classic
argument against traditional remediation, or, for a well-tried alternative,
see Bartholomae's Fact, Counterfact, and Artifact (I hope I got those in the
right order) where he runs "remedial" courses rather like graduate seminars.
Enjoy,

Jim Bell
Coordinator, Learning Skills Centre
University of Northern BC