Hello, Victoria and colleagues --

Inkshed is proving its worth again as a source of timely advice and
support. I too agree that an online course is exactly the wrong thing for
your OCAD students. I expect many of those in need of "remediation" are
learners of ESL or people with some degree of learning disability -- groups
who need oral practice and feedback even more than others. They will also
no doubt present an even wider range of needs than your administrators can
imagine, making a pre-set (purchased?) online course probably too rigid.

One thing that OCAD administrators should keep in mind is that successful
remediation is expensive. If they admit students who they know are in need
of preliminary help, they will have to be prepared to pay for it -- or else
lose the students and accordingly reduce their funding as well as their
reputation. Not to mention the human wastage.... (And, by the way, you
could remind them that developing online writing courses is extremely
expensive, and that running them is also time-consuming.)

I think your plan for monitoring student success in the foundation course
and then targeting identified students for an intensive classroom course,
adaptable to specific student needs, is by far the most practical and
inexpensive alternative you could construct. Rob is right that it will be
crucial for you to work with the course instructor to produce a clear
sequence of good assignments -- and I'm glad to know from what you said at
Inkshed 19 that you are already mapping out that process.

All the best,

Margaret.

--
(Dr.) Margaret Procter