Hello CASLLers and Inkshedders.  After tearing myself away from Canmore, I
had a pleasant and uneventful drive back to Winnipeg, arriving late
yesterday afternoon.  No breakdowns this time!

Now it's a sunny Friday morning, and I'm just catching up on all the e-mail
that's accumulated over the past week (I've been computerless since last
Friday).  In response to Victoria's request for comments about a proposed
online remedial course, I want to add my voice to the concert of "NO's."
Administrators, bless their pointed heads, tend to think that online courses
are a cheap and relatively low-maintenance alternative to f2f interaction.
Nothing could be further from the truth, as my own experience and that of
others attests.  Students who need extra help with writing and expression
are ill-served in an online environment, which pretty much demands students
be fairly articulate and able to engage in sophisticated time management.
Except for some types of training, I don't think an online environment is an
appropriate one for remedial work.  Students needing extra help with writing
need regular and personal tutoring beforehand, f2f, preferably in small
groups--NOT in big classes.

There's my two cents worth.

Best, Amanda

Amanda Goldrick-Jones . . . . . . University of Winnipeg
    Centre for Academic Writing/Women's Studies
                   515 Portage Avenue
       Winnipeg, Manitoba CANADA, R3B 2E9
         E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
 Phone: 204-786-9453 . . . . . . . Fax:  204-774-4134
http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~caw/agjhome.htm