Researchers find 'ultimate stem cell' - Cells in adult marrow offer hope
for future medical miracles

Friday 4 May 2001 - WASHINGTON -- An adult stem cell that may be able to
create any organ in the body has been discovered in bone marrow, offering
wide-ranging promise for curing disease similar to that of embryonic stem
cells but without the ethics debate, researchers said yesterday.

Dr. Neil Theise of New York University School of Medicine, who made the
discovery along with Dr. Diane Krause of Yale University School of
Medicine, said the finding in a study involving mice provides the strongest
evidence to date that the adult body harbours stem cells that are as
flexible as embryonic stem cells. The findings appear in the journal Cell.

Dr. Theise said that, in theory, any organ in the body could be repaired
using cells generated from this stem cell, and bone marrow-derived cells
could be used to target gene therapy to a specific organ.

"This would appear to be the ultimate stem cell -- or the closest we've
gotten to it," Dr. Theise said.

But Dr. Theise and Dr. Krause said their study should not be used to
justify squelching research into embryonic stem cells.

In the experiment, female mice were irradiated and received a single,
male-derived bone marrow cell transplant.

The scientists then used the Y chromosome, a marker for male cells, to
identify all of the progeny of that one cell in the body of the female mice.

As expected, they found the male chromosome in the bone marrow and blood,
but were astonished to find it also in tissue from the lung, esophagus,
stomach, small and large intestine, liver and skin.

The researchers said it appears the cell can generate most, if not all, of
the organs in the body. They said it was a good assumption the finding
would apply to humans.

Stem cells are master cells that, with chemical prompting, can develop into
different types of cells, offering the possibility of providing treatments
for a variety of maladies, including diabetes, cystic fibrosis, heart
disease, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, stroke and spinal cord
injury.

Stem cells can come from adult tissue -- as was the case in this study --
as well as from the cells of aborted fetuses and from blood cells from
umbilical cords. Anti-abortion advocates oppose the use of embryonic stem
cells.

Some opponents of embryonic stem cell research point to the promise shown
by recent studies involving adult stem cells.

"It's of grave concern to me that our data not be used as an argument for
discontinuing work on embryonic stem cells and fetal tissue," Dr. Krause said.

"The reason for that is that as exciting as our data are, they really are
just the beginning. We're really at the beginning of this field of
understanding stem cells, stem cell plasticity, all these potentials and
which cells have it. And if we discontinue embryonic research and fetal
tissue research, we'll slow the field down," Dr. Krause added.

"To close down those options prematurely, I think, is to close down the
possibility of curing people. There's a long way to go between what the
potential of something is and what its actual practicality is," Dr. Theise
added.

In the two-part study, stem cells in the bone marrow were isolated and
purified. Some of the cells were labelled with a fluorescent colour. These
cells then were injected into female mice that had been irradiated, which
destroys the cells in the bone marrow.

After two days, the stem cells were recovered from the bone marrow of the
female mice, and only those cells with the brightest colour were used in
the next part of the study. The bright colour indicated that the cells had
not yet divided, assuring the scientists that the cells had the greatest
likelihood for transforming into other types of cells.

In the second part, a single one of the bright-coloured cells was plucked
out of solution and transplanted into other female mice that had been
irradiated. By killing the bone marrow, the stem cell would be forced to
generate cells to repopulate the bone marrow of the recipient female mouse.
Thirty female mice received the lone stem cell. Five of the mice survived
11 months. Cells containing Y chromosomes were found in multiple organs in
all five surviving mice.

by Will Dunham, Reuters
Copyright 2001 CanWest Interactive, a CanWest company. All rights reserved
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/national/010504/5013931.html .

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
PD: 54/41/37 CD: 54/44/43 TEL: 613 256 8340 EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
"a new voice" home page: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/     .