                  acceptance
                      or
           how i learned to gift-wrap

     with my designer background
     i've always been a persnickety gift-wrapper
     no visible tape, patterns matching
     colour coordination to die for

     one christmas not too long ago my sister and i were behind
     schedule as usual
     but this was really behind!

     it was christmas eve
     and i was still wrapping presents

     i was indulging in a drink or two
     which didn't help with the med kick-in
     but i was also into the dreaded 'hormone-hell-freeze-up'

     one package took half an hour to complete

     and i still had 6 presents to wrap

     my sister was keeping me company while i worked
     but had her back to me
     having sworn under oath not to peek
     while i struggled to cope with paper and tape and ribbon etc.

     i finished wrapping one more package

     i then shuffled over to the tree
     b-b-e-n-n-t-t down, groaning like i was 149 instead of 49
     and feebly unsuccessfully tried to position the treasure
     artistically

     suddenly, reality hit me

     [luckily, the shops here are pretty liberal
     with inner tissue paper and outer decorative boxes
     and pretty gold elastic ties]

     so
     wrapping the next package consisted of:
     stuff it in the box