Chuck Sarley wrote:

>... recommended Permax I believe but my Neuro has refused
to give it a try.

I started on Permax a few months ago. No drugs before that,
and none with it; i.e., using  it for de novo  monotherapy.

'Ramping up' was not too long. A modest dose (.50mg, three
times per day) gives me adequate (not perfect)
symptom-control. So far, lucky: essentially no side effects
(just some edema in both feet, and periods when there is a
foul taste in my mouth [where else would  it be?]).

I accepted my neuro's suggestion to try Permax. I felt
comfortable with that because of recent research reports on
agonists:  Requip in NEJM May 2000, Mirapex in JAMA Oct
2000, and an abstract on Permax at
http://www.wemove.org/emove/article.asp?ID=223 .

I was leaning toward Mirapex but decided to try Permax first
because up here (British Columbia, in Canada) geezers over
65 (as I am) get 'listed' meds at essentially no cost - and
Permax is listed while Mirapex is not.

I wish you luck - all of us Parkies need a good dose of
that.

Ben Winter