Hi dick pearce and list:

I know all those smokers out there are quitting
PD and cancer would be a vile combination.

dick pearce wrote:

> I include a 1997 short abstract . This very much applies to myself and was ,on
> reflection, my earliest "warning" when my right leg started to drag after
> the occasional cigarette. How common, or otherwise, is this?

<<<<<<<<<<  snipped previous abstract >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 Acta Pharmacol Sin 2000 Feb;21(2):97-104

Nicotine and brain disorders.

Mihailescu S, Drucker-Colin R.

Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma
de Mexico, Mexico.

During the last decade, brain nicotinic acetylcholine receptors were extensively
characterized from electrophysiological and pharmacological points of view.
These receptors play important roles in memory and cognition and
participate in
the pathogenesis of several brain disorders (Parkinson's and Alzheimer's
diseases, Tourette's syndrome, schizophrenia, depression, attention deficit
disorder). In the same diseases, clinical studies showed that nicotine had
beneficial effects, both as therapeutic and prophylactic agent. This review
presents recent data concerning the structure and properties of neuronal
nicotinic receptors, their involvement in the pathogenesis of various brain
disorders and the beneficial effects of nicotine as therapeutic agent.

PMID: 11263271 [PubMed - in process]

J Neural Transm Suppl 2000;(60):227-45

Neurotrophic effects of central nicotinic receptor activation.

Belluardo N, Mudo G, Blum M, Amato G, Fuxe K.

Institute of Human Physiology, University of Palermo, Italy.

A growing number of data have shown that compounds interacting with neuronal
nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) have, both in vivo and in vitro, the
potential to be neuroprotective and that treatment with nAChR agonists elicit
long-lasting improvement of cognitive performance in a variety of behavioural
tests in rats, monkeys and humans. Epidemiological and clinical studies
suggested also a potential neuroprotective/trophic role of (-)-nicotine in
neurodegenerative disease, such as Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
This neuroprotective/trophic role of nAChR activation has been mainly mediated
by alpha7 and alpha4beta2 nAChR subtypes, as evidenced using selective nAChR
antagonists, and by potent nAChR agonists recently found displaying efficacy
and/or larger selective affinities than (-)-nicotine for neuronal nAChR
subtypes. A neurotrophic factor gene regulation by nAChR signalling has been
taken into consideration as a possible mechanism involved in
neuroprotective/trophic effects of nAChR activation and has given evidence that
the fibroblast growth factor (FGF-2) gene is a target for nAChR signalling.
These findings suggested that FGF-2 could be involved, in view of its
neurotrophic functions, in nAChR mechanisms mediating neuronal survival,
trophism and plasticity.

Publication Types:
Review
Review, academic

PMID: 11205143 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

                                 Ray Strand
                             Prairie Sky Design
 -----------------(   on  the Edge of the Prairie Abyss  )---------------
                          when  the  sky  is  clear