1. which default browser is best - netscape or explorer?

netscape
or if you feel like splashing out
even better is opera at www.opera.com
it's very user friendly and faster than eny other browser
it can be downloaded for free also

internet explorer has the microsoft bill gates stamp all over it

a mini rant:
if it aint broke, gussy it up
but make sure it's the cheapest gussy around
and then tweak it so it aint easy
for the suckers ... er customers
to use any other brand of gussy

okay i'll stop now!

2. I need some techno advice - which is the best browser
to set as one's homepage, netscape or internet explorer?
(Of course I need one that would give me the news headlines
and be the least apt to have a virus!)

in re the virus potential
you cannot pick up a virus by viewing a web page
(see my previous mini-rant on viri)

in re a 'homepage'
it can be any html file
meaning any page on the web or any in your own files on your own computer
e.g. my homepage is simply my own bookmark (or favourite places) file

another suggestion is to use
http://my.yahoo.com/ .
(if you are a member of an existing yahoo club,
you already have a yahoo id and password and a yahoo e-mail address,
or,
if you are not, it's easy to sign up))
you can set up your "my yahoo" page exactly as you want it
in re news, sports, weather, club memberships,
favourite bookmarks, e-mail etc.

please note that your current e-mail software is sending out multipart
messages
viz the plain text version plus an attachment with an html version of the
message

i found this info in the detailed headers that come with each e-mail message:

>To: "\(janet\) Janet Paterson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Homepage/browser
>Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:19:58 -0400
you might want to do some digging
in 'options' or 'preferences' or 'setup' or 'configuration'
in outlook express to eliminate multipart messages and attachments
as well as MIME for both incoming and outgoing mail

janet
nerdette to the stars

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
PD: 54/41/37 CD: 54/44/43 TEL: 613 256 8340 EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
"a new voice" home page: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/     .