7-May-2001 -- EWTN News Brief
MORE RESEARCH SHOWS VIABILITY OF ADULT STEM CELLS
IN RESEARCH
BOSTON, (CWNews.com) - A new study released on Thursday
reveals that stem cells taken from the bone marrow of adults may
be as versatile as stem cells taken from embryonic unborn children,
avoiding the ethical complications of that process.

The discovery made by Dr. Neil Theise of New York University and
Dr. Diane Krause of Yale University is the second recent study that
may obviate the need to kill unborn children for their stem cells,
which researchers believe may lead to cures for a variety of diseases.

Researchers have been able to make stem cells from fat cells taken
from adults.

Theise said the finding in a study involving mice provides the
strongest evidence to date that the adult body harbors stem cells
that are as flexible as embryonic stem cells.

The findings appear in the journal Cell.

The two scientists said that their discovery should not be
used as a reason to stop research which kills children for
their cells. "The reason for that is that as exciting as
our data are, they really are just the beginning. We're
really at the beginning of this field of understanding stem
cells, stem cell plasticity, all these potentials and which
cells have it. And if we discontinue embryonic research and
fetal tissue research, we'll slow the field down," Krause added.

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=14813