Hi Again,
The learning curve is very steep!

Welcome to Canada's 37th. Parliament!
http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/index.asp?Language=E

Bill C-336 Introduced April 4, 2001

Mrs. Pauline Picard (Drummond, BQ) moved for leave to
introduce Bill C-336, an act to amend the Criminal Code
(genetic manipulation).

She said: Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to introduce today a bill
to amend the Criminal Code in order to prohibit the genetic
manipulation of a human cell, a zygote or an embryo with a
view to preventing human cloning. Any person who would be
guilty of such an offence would be liable to a fine, imprisonment
or both.

As we know, the pace of scientific discoveries and technical
advances in biotechnology has accelerated over the last few
years, which forces the legislator to take note of the situation.

Faced with this undeniable fact, almost all the developed
countries in the world have put on a spurt and, over the last
few months, quickly passed legislation to prohibit human
cloning or at the very least to strictly regulate genetic research.

In Canada, there is nothing at all, there is a legislative vacuum.
That is why I am introducing this bill.
(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed.)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/chambus/house/debates/044_2001-04-05/han044_1005-e.htm

Mr. Peter Adams (Peterborough, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, while
stem cell research can potentially provide useful therapies in a
wide variety of health conditions and diseases, there are
extremely difficult ethical and legal issues surrounding the use
of human embryonic and fetal tissue in research.
In the absence of meaningful policy questions from the
opposition, I ask the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of
Health what the government is doing to address Canada's lack of
guidelines in this important area.

[Translation]
Mr. Yvon Charbonneau (Parliamentary Secretary to Minister of
Health, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, just today, a working committee of
the health research institute released a paper on stem cells of
human origin.

This is a major step forward. This document will help
researchers and will also serve as a discussion paper in the
coming months. This will allow us to move forward in a more
cautious and informed manner in the public dialogue that we are
beginning today.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/chambus/house/debates/039_2001-03-29/han039_1455-e.htm

Now the next challenge is to find the full text of these puppies....

Cheers ..... murray