This is a letter to the editor I am sending to my local newspaper thanking Congressmen Vic Snyder for his support in signing on as a co-sponser to H.Res.Con17.  He also had agreed to send a Dear Collaegue Letter that Rep Lane Evens has put forward.

Pam Shapley

----- Original Message -----
From: Pam Shapley
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 3:37 PM
Cc: congressman
Subject: Thank You Congressman Snyder Parkinson's disease

Dear Editor:

  As one of the more than one million people who suffer from Parkinson's disease and an eleven year resident of Conway, I would like to thank Congressman Vic Snyder for his support.

  Parkinson's disease is a movement disorder resulting from the degeneration and premature death of brain cells which produce dopamine-a neurochemical involded in motor control.  Symptoms include tremors, body rigidity, loss of balance, and marked slowing of movement.  Disability increases over time and presently there is no cure.

  I spoke with Congressman Snyder about joining the Congressional Working Group on Parkinson's disease.  This informal group works to promote the proper inplementation of the Morris K. Udall legislation.  In 1997, Congress enacted the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research Act, which authorized up to $100 milion in new funding for research focused on Parkinson's disease.  The working group also sponsors briefings on the state of Parkinson's and other related biomedical research issues, and disseminates information to interested parties.  Congressman Snyder is going to work with this group.

  I also requested that Congressman Snyder consider H.Con.Res.17. to support Federal funding of stem cell research.  Current law bans the use of federal funds for human embryo research in the United States.  In 1999, the Department of Health and Human Services determined that the appropriations' ban does not prohibit federal funding to support pluripotent stem cell research.  Human pluripotent stem cells can never develop into a complete human being, therefore, pluripotent stem cell research does not undermine the current ban of federal funding for human embryo research.

  This resolution is a useful educational tool that helps to underscore the potential benifits of stem cell research.  H.Con.Res.17. sends a message to the nation's decision-makers: this research is important, and neither Congress nor the Administration should tie the hands of biomedical researchers by imposing harmful restrictions on the work.

  I would like to thank Congressmen Snyder for taking the time to consider these important isues.  The people and families who are effected by this terrible disease truely do appreciate the Congressmans care and concern.

Sincerely,
Pam Shapley
120 South blvd
Conway, AR 72032