At 01:25 2001/05/18 -0700, los angeles marathon mary yost wrote:
>Message from PAN:

The Parkinson's Action Network
announces that the Eighth Public Policy Forum
will be postponed until March 2002

The Parkinson's Action Network (PAN) has decided to postpone the Eighth
Public Policy Forum until March of 2002.  We appreciate the interest that
advocates have shown in this year's Forum and we apologize for any
inconvenience that this date change may cause.  PAN made this decision  in
our effort to improve our quality of services that we provide to the
Parkinson's community.

This is a very exciting time for PAN.  As a result, however, it is also a
time of enormous change and activity.  Here are some of the big changes
that are occurring:

-- We are in the process of establishing our new headquarters in the
Washington DC area.

-- We have hired a new Executive Director to manage PAN's day-to-day
operations.

-- We are changing and strengthening the staff in order to better
communicate PAN's message to the Hill, the Executive Branch, the advocacy
community and the public.

-- We are about to undertake a regular electronic newsletter and are
gearing up for that.

-- We are working to build a truly effective grassroots advocacy operations
so that PAN can communicate with you faster and smarter for your voice to
be heard in Washington with more regularity.

Under the new configuration, Joan Samuelson continues to serve as
President, and as our chief policy architect.  In addition to our new
Executive Director, Elisabeth Bresee, we have hired a terrific new staff.
They are all dedicated to our cause and bring a great deal of energy and
commitment to our mission.  On the advocacy front, John Rogers is our
Advocacy Director and Laura Lytle Eckart is our new Advocacy Associate,
replacing Mike Claeys.  Both John and Laura have excellent prior experience
working on Capitol Hill.

In addition to establishing our new headquarters, we have been extremely
busy working on the 2002 Appropriations Bill -- in particular to ensure
that the NIH budget is in fact doubled within five years, for a total of
$3.4 billion in FY 2002.  And that the NIH's increase for FY 2002 includes
an increase of $143.5 million for PD research, as called for in the NIH's
five-year plan.  We are also taking the lead on the stem cell battle.  Our
Advocacy Director serves on the Board of the newly created entity, the
Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR).  This Coalition
has over fifty members, made up of advocacy groups, universities, and
scientists all fighting to ensure that embryonic stem cells are available
for scientific research.  To learn more about CAMR, go to their web site
at:  www.stemcellfunding.org.

Moving the Forum to next March will allow us to continue to push the PD
policy agenda while fully establishing our new headquarters.  With a little
additional time, we believe we can put on a truly informative and
worthwhile Forum.  In addition, the March time frame works very well with
the appropriations schedule on Capitol Hill.  We would, however, like to
invite any interested advocates to come to Washington and we will
facilitate meetings with your representative to put a face on Parkinson's
disease.  We invite you to visit our new headquarters and we look forward
to seeing you in March.  In addition, we are exploring options for uniting
the Parkinson's community in the early Fall.

Parkinson Action Network
http://parkinsonsaction.org/