cross-posted

from: pegleg
posted May 19, 2001 07:44 AM

quote by janet
>if we 'expect' perfection in ourselves as well as in
>others
>we will be constantly disappointed
>and bitter
>
>if we 'expect' imperfection in ourselves as well as in
>others
>we may be frequently surprised
>and delighted
End quote

hmmmmm? This is deep, really deep. But the soluion seems
simple.

Is it possible to expect imperfect perfectionism?

Alexander Pope said, "To err is human; to forgive divine."
Millions have agreed with him.

If we accept Pope's quote, then to be imperfect is
expected. It's the unforgiving that may cause problems.
Right?

We cannot isolate ourselves from the world. Thoreau
attempted to do this, but his thoughts were still with him.

BUT we CAN be in the world but not OF the world. Man is
inherently evil in nature. It is up to us to turn our
thoughts toward the good.

David Burns has nothing new, but has restated it quite
eloquently. Listen to this quote, "For though we live in
the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The
weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. .
. we take captive every thought to make it obedient . . . "

Obedient to whom? In my belief, to the standards set up by
Christ. And even if you don't believe in God, it's a great
way of living!

Am I totally off the track, janet?? Your posts are always
thought provoling.

Peggy

from janet313313
posted May 19, 2001 08:36 AM

thank you peg!

one of the first steps in this spiritual adventure for me
was, strangely enough, 'the road less traveled' by m. scott peck.

it's been on the best seller list for over 20 years, but i
discovered it in 1990

his premise is 'life is difficult'
and that turned my head around

i have only paraphrased his ideas in re
expectations - if we expect life to be easy, we will be
disappointed - if we expect life to be difficult i.e. a
learning experience, a universal university, then we will
not be disappointed, and once we fully accept the premise
and the challenge inherent, then we will not even see the
difficulty but only the challenge

man cannot be inherently evil
not if created by god

the things humans do may appear evil to us
but they are manifestations of the mistakes we all make as
we are learning,
or as we are trying to learn,
or as we are frequently stubbornly trying not to learn

each one of us is a child of god
most of us have forgotten that
but the forgetting doesnt make it any less true

if i close my eyes to the gift in front of me
that does not mean it has been lost
it only means i cant see it
at the moment

wow