On 19 May 2001, at 23:54, Dave Bergford wrote:

> I take Vitamin E (1000 IU twice daily).  This is based on the
> recommendation of my doctor, who believes it may slow down the
> progression of PD.  From other sources, I understand that this view is
> not shared by all.  I don't know if the Vitamin E has helped;  however,
> there has been very little change in my symptoms since I began taking it
> over a year ago.  I also take 2 prescription medications for PD (Mirapex
> and Eldepryl).
>
> Dave Bergford
> 59 now / 58 dx. / 55 onset

Hi Dave, Joy, Bob, Phyllis, Rayilyn, and Good Morning to All,

I have taken Vitamin E since reading the Shute's book on Heart and
Vitamin E roughly 30 years ago.  There have been many studies pro
and con ever since and now many studies on Parkinson's
saying no benefit etc.  (Datatop was one...)

I don't care what the studies say.... I personally feel somewhat better
when I take Vitamin E.  For what it's worth.... I was misdiagnosed ms
some 15 years ago and had symptoms long before.... My Parkinson's
exhibits slow progression, I still work full time etc.

I like Vitamin E..... It works for me...

"It has been said that if one could only have one bottle of vitamins
on the shelf, that bottle should be filled with Vitamin E.
Fortunately we are not restricted, but the comment succinctly implies
just how important this nutrient is."
http://www.internetnutrition.com/topics/vitamine.html

The Use of Vitamin E to Treat People with Tardive Dyskinesia
http://www.psycom.net/tardive_E.html

Antioxidants and Neurodegenerative Diseases
http://www.astaxanthin.org/neurodisease.htm

Free radicals in parkinson's disease:
http://www.technion.ac.il/~shubert/Neurology.htm

Dr. Stanley Fahn did a study on PD and Vitamins E & C.

Ann Neurol1992 Dec;32(6):804-12
The oxidant stress hypothesis in Parkinson's disease:
evidence supporting it.
Fahn S, Cohen G
http://www.tellpharm.com/products/CACHEXON/New_Uses/Parkinson/glu-park-1992.htm

Now, even tho this study is 1992, Dr. Stanley Fahn is worth
payin' attention in my book...

Cheers ....... murray