On 20 May 2001, at 23:21, David Meigs wrote:

> Kathyrene,  (or all)
>
> At what level does Vitamin E become toxic?  I have been looking all over
> the net.  I was taking 4 - 8,000 IU per day.  Then 2 days ago I read
> that too much can be toxic.....  Is there a guideline until I can ask my
> doc?
>
> David Meigs

Hi David,
I'm a mechanic and I sorta started this thread so I feel a bit responsible....

I could ask "What prompted ya to take 8,000 IU / day without checkin'
with yer medical professional?" but I won't.........

Suffice that you should not gulp down a bottle full of Vitamin E
capsules expecting the miracle cure in a day.  The wisdom of the
ancient Greeks applies here, as in so many instances, "Everything in
moderation, nothing to excess."

Vitamin E Toxicity
http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section1/chapter3/3g.htm

Safety
Side effects associated with vitamin E supplements are
exceedingly rare. Unlike other fat-soluble vitamins, such as
A, D and K, vitamin E is relatively non-toxic, even at doses
of 1,000 or more percent of the current daily value (DV) of 30 IU
(international units).

A caution is advised, however, in those individuals at risk
for prolonged bleeding, such as those taking anticoagulant medications,
because vitamin E supplements can decrease blood clotting ability
(reduced platelet aggregation) and prolong bleeding time.
http://www.supplementwatch.com/sup-atoz/e/e.html

Cheers ....... murray

********