Diane, many people with PD would, in my opinion, be well advised to take
a vitamin E supplement. PD is stressful for most people, and stress
leads to free radicals and free-radical damage. Vitamin E counteracts
free radical damage.

It would be a good idea to check with your doctor or a dietitian to be
sure to take the right amount for you. A family history of hemorrhagic
stroke, or concurrent use of coumadin, aspirin or other blood thinners
might mean you should take a smaller amount of E.

With regard to a B complex, I often recommend that, also, though not
usually a B-100; however, if using Sinemet, it should be taken at least
2 hours apart from the B complex, as the large amount of B6 will
interfere with levodopa absorption.

Calcium and magnesium supplements are good for some people, too, esp. if
experiencing dystonia, which can be exacerbated by deficiencies of these
two minerals. Here again, it's a good idea to check with a dietitian --
too much magnesium is harmful; too much calcium may be contraindicated
in people susceptible to kidney stones or with other conditions.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/