Murray Charters wrote:
>>I worry that far too much weight may be given to the media and
questionable Stem Cell "Headlines"....>>
>>I worry that opponents of embryonic stem cell research will cite these
or similar "media headlines" with adult cells to support their position.
I worry that politicians will also see similar "media headlines" with
adult cells as justification for banning embryonic stem cell research.>>

I agree with Murray and this his worries are exactly what is happening.
The scientific facts are not getting to the public or to those who are
making the funding decisions, due to inaccurate, hyped media reports and
special interest groups PR.

An example:
The famous "stem cells from liposuction fat study. The original journal
article,  "Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: implications for
cell-based therapies" appeared in "Tissue Engineering" 2001 April7 (2)
211-28. (available online)
The journal article reported that the treated fat cells were
differentiated in vitro into adipogenic (fat), chonodrogenic (cartlige),
myogenic (muscle) and osteogenic (bone) stems cells. There is no mention
of any application to PD treatment, or to nerve cells or any other
neurological disease.
(Capital letters added by me)
The conclusion stated: "These arguments provide support for the presence
of a multipotent stem cell population within liposuctioned adipose
tissue; HOWEVER, definitive confirmation requires the isolation and
characterization of multiple
clones derived from a single cell. PRELIMINARY data confirm that clonal
PLA cell populations possess multilineage potential, capable of
adipogenic, osteogenic, and chondrogenic differentiation. ALTHOUGH
promising, isolation and analysis of multiple PLA cell clones will be
required to confirm the presence of a stem cell population within
liposuctioned adipose tissue.
The future of engineering mesodermally derived tissues from stem cells is
promising and the develop-ment of these strategies will likely require a
readily available source of donor cells. Current research has
demonstrated exciting results using bone marrow-derived MSCs. MSCs can
differentiate into osteogenic
and chondrogenic tissues in vivo,and PRELIMINARY data SUGGEST that these
cells can be used to repair bony and cartilagenous defects.We believe
that PLA cells obtained from liposuctioned adipose tissue MAY represent
another source of multilineage mesodermal stem cells. .."

-- promising data, but preliminary, and no mention of use for treating PD

Later that month: the catchy headlines in a U.S. News and World Report
article:
"Therapy by the pound. Human fat is a source of coveted stem cells"
(April 23, 2001 p. 54)
It begins:
"Turning beer bellies into six-packs requires sweat and painful
sacrifice. Or so we're told. But scientists now claim to have subbed
petri dishes for StairMasters, transforming cells from unwanted fat into
muscle, cartilage, and bone.
The discovery suggests that fat may be a rich source of so-called stem
cells--unspecialized primordial cells that can be coaxed into becoming
any number of tissue types. The procedure could offer a potential
treatment for broken bones, damaged joints, and even life-threatening
neurological disorders like Parkinson's disease. "

NOTE again - the use of these cells for PD or any other neurological
condition was not mentioned in the original report of the research study.

Four days later, the Wall St. Journal reports:
 " Grass-roots organizer Molly Naylor supports research into embryonic
  stem cells, hoping that it may lead to a cure for the juvenile
diabetes that afflicts her son. But when she called the White House to
support stem-cell studies, she was surprised to hear that the   embryonic
research might not be necessary.
  She says the White House told her about a widely publicized study
  showing that human fat may also contain stem cells."
("Scientists Say Embryo Research Is Needed Despite Fat Finding
  By Antonio Regalado  04/27/2001,   The Wall Street Journal
  Page B1)

AND in a press release from :Concerned Women for America (a group opposed
to embryonic stem cell research:)

Embryonic Stem Cell Research On Hold; Judge Rules Controversial
Guidelines Must Be Reviewed Before Public Funding is Approved
WASHINGTON, May 11 /U.S. Newswire/ -

"Concerned Women for America urges the American people and the scientific
community to turn their attention to adult stem cell research. Adult stem
cells have been successful in clinical applications, providing a viable
and ethical alternative to
embryonic stem cells....Research on adult stem cells is more advanced and
more
promising..."
http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/0511-121.html
(MY NOTE: US Newswire is not really a news wire (like AP or UPI) - it is
a public relations service that issue press releases written by the
companies or organizations themselves)

What clinical trials are they talking about? How did they reach their
conclusion that" Research on adult stem cells is more advanced and more
promising..."
And how many people will read "news" stories like these and accept them
as fact?

Linda Herman