murray,

you hit the nail on the head !!  :)

i use netscape communicator and do not have the software for shockwave content.

i agree with your concerns "...about sites that deny basic access by presenting content such as this without a default "text only" alternate.  Sites that contain an overabundance of "clever" content usually take far too long to load, especially on a dial-up..."

thanks,   sami