dpatel wrote:
> I read your prior responses on how Magnesium may help night time Dystonia.
> My Mum gets some and would like to know what quantity of Mag you recommend?
> Also, does Calcium also help, and if so, what quantity do you recommend?

Dabu, magnesium and/or calcium may or may not help with dystonia. One or
both will help ONLY if the person is deficient in that mineral. The
reason is that calcium & magnesium are involved in muscle movement --
once contracted, the muscle requires calcium & magnesium in order to
relax back to its former state. Most people with dystonia are not
deficient, but a fair number are, and these folks can gain some benefit
by adding supplements.

Regarding the amount to use, this is highly individualized. Your mother
must have a thorough nutrition risk assessment by a dietitian
(preferably one who is experienced in Parkinson's disease). The
dietitian can then determine whether either will be needed, how much,
and how often. If a deficiency is assessed, then large amounts might be
recommended for a short time, tapering to a smaller amount upon
repletion. If frank deficiency is not present, then adding the RDA will
be recommended. The current RDA is 420 mg for men, 320 for non-pregnant,
non-lactating women (for more details re age see:
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/ntr311/nutinfo/RDIchart.html  ) Too much
magnesium can lead to changes in mental status, nausea, appetite loss,
muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, and other concerns.

Re calcium, by age 50 it's recommended we get 1200 mg calcium per day,
which can be difficult for some older adults. A calcium supplement,
preferably calcium citrate, of 500 - 1000 mg per day (more if the person
is assessed deficient or unable to take in enough calcium in the diet)
is helpful.

My very best regards to you and your mother --
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/