CURRENT SCIENCE REVIEWS  By Joe Bruman   June 2001   Page 1 of

Ouchi Y et al;Brain 2001;124:794-792:
By means of positron-emission tomography (PET) scans of subjects
with and without PD, at rest and immediately following a walking
exercise, they were able to compare dopamine transporter (DAT)
availability in specific areas of the brain, between the two
groups. As expected, they found the first in vivo evidence that
DAT availability in the nigrostriatal area of the basal ganglia
is reduced by ordinary activity such as walking, and that
the spatial distribution of that effect is altered by PD.

Intemann P et al;J Neurosurg 2001;94:137-144:
They followed progress of 11 recipients of staged bilateral
pallidotomy and one of similtaneous bilateral. All did improve
motor symptoms but became less responsive to levodopa. Several
complications followed the second stage: one acute stroke, two
(delayed) infarctions of the internal capsule, four patients
had mild-to moderate worsining of speech and increased drooling,
and one complained of worsening memory.

Takeuchi H et al;J Neurosurg 2001;94:775-781:
In experiments on rats with induced parkinsonism, they found
that immune rejection of neural xenografts (neural tissue
transplants from other animals) was suppressed by injection of
donor spleen lymphocytes.

Krause M et al;J Neur N'surg Psych 2001;70;464-470:
In a study to compare the merits of the subthalamic nucleus
(STN) against those of the globus pallidus internus (GPi) as
sites for stimulation electrodes to treat PD, they found the
former to be in general the better choice.

McAuley J et al;J Neur N'surg Psych 2001;70:471-476:
By electromyographic study of frequency spectrum in muscle
contraction, they found important deficiencies in subjects
with PD.

Papapetropoulos S et al;J Neur N'surg Psych 2001;70:662-665:
A study of patients having a rare form of PD linked to mutation
of alpha-synuclein revealed younger age at onset, much less
incidence of tremor, and longer duration of the disease.

Last Gasp; With deepest regret I must announce that this shall
be the last issue of Current Science Reviews. My encounter
during the past 3 weeks with shingles and its medications has
apparently worsened irreversibly the effects of PD on the
range of my daily activities. Since the principal goal of all
PD treatment is to maintain quality of life, I must sacrifice
the CSRs for the higher priority of continued independence.
I regret not only the loss to others, but also the pleasure
I got from the archive by which I could trace the progression
of various scientific developments in PD. It was fun while it
lasted, and we had a long run. I hope to remain active in this
PIE forum and to contribute from time to time.

--
J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road