Hi List,
I need some help. After asking the editorial page editor of my local
newspaper if I could write a column on the stem-cell debate, from the
perspective of a 50-year-old young onset Parkinson's person, I got the
go-ahead to write and submit such a piece. Now I have to write it!
   What I would like to do, in the interests of time and energy, is to draw
on many of the (noncopyrighted) postings, public testimony, and other
material and cobble together 700 words intertwined with my own experiences.
It will mainly be a piece in favor of funding government-sponsored stem cell
research and the passage of S.723, but the newspaper wants that "personal"
touch--i.e., me.
   What are the ethics of "borrowing" a sentence here and there,
paraphrasing someone else's paragraph. So much has been said so well--do I
have to reinvent the wheel? Are e-mails copyrighted by virtue of existing in
written form? I don't want to steal material, I just want to get the message
accross.
   You can respond directly to me at [log in to unmask] or to the list.
Thanks.
Rick Hermann
dx47, now 50