BBC News:
Saturday, 19 May, 2001, 16:27 GMT 17:27 UK
Schroeder defends gene research

The German Chancellor, Gerhard Schroeder, has intervened in
an emotive national debate about genetic engineering, describing
it as a key industry for the future.

The day before, President Johannes Rau warned of the risks of
biotechnology, which he said risked provoking memories of
Nazi mass murder and medical experiments.

Mr Schroeder noted that German industry was already a leader
in biotechnology, and said it would help to secure future prosperity.

The BBC's Frankfurt correspondent, Patrick Bartlett, says his
comments, in an interview with the news magazine Der Spiegel,
are bound to intensify the debate in Germany about the morality
of genetic engineering.

Germany currently bans the use of human embryos, while the
UK recently legislated to allow embryonic tissue to be used in
stem cell research.

Without biotechnology, Mr Schroeder said, "we will hardly be
able to secure our prosperity for our children and grandchildren".

Moral limits
He acknowledged that there were moral boundaries to such
research, but said creating jobs was also a moral obligation.

"There are definite limits to the future use and application of
genetic engineering: Human dignity cannot be tampered with,"
he said.

He insisted that Germany's ban on embryo research should
not be amended.

"But ... we are also morally bound to keep in mind people with
severe illnesses who can be helped through genetically
manufactured treatments," Mr Schroeder said.

"And beyond that, it is also part of our moral responsibility to
keep in mind jobs and prosperity."

Employment in Germany's biotechnology sector has grown by
30% in the past year, albeit from a low base.

Scientists argue that research with human stem cells could help
the treatment of killer diseases such as leukaemia
and Parkinson's disease.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1339000/1339883.stm