On 22 May 2001, at 23:46, Dave Bergford wrote:

> On 02/12/01, I sent an e-mail to President Bush requesting his support
> of Federal funding for stem cell research.  Today, I received a letter
> of response, dated May 18.
>
> The letter from President Bush outlined his support of medical research.
>  He mentioned his proposal to double the funding for National Institutes
> of Health medical research.  He said he has called for an extension of
> the Research and Development tax credit to encourage companies to
> continue research.
>
> Then, he said, "I oppose Federal funding for stem-cell research that
> involves destroying living human embryos."  He went on to say he
> supports innovative medical research, including research using adult
> stem cells.
>
> The bottom line:  strong support of medical research, opposition to
> Federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.
>
> Dave Bergford
> 59 now / 58 dx. / 55 onset

Hi Dave and Hi All,

Please Read this article....

From the Los Angeles Times
Fat may yield useful stem cells
Breakthrough could eliminate the controversial use of
fetal tissue in quest to treat disease and repair injury
By Thomas H. Maugh II
Times Staff Writer
Originally published April 10, 2001
http://www.sunspot.net/news/health/bal-stem10.story?coll=bal%2Dhealth%2Dheadlines

Now go to Medline Search page and enter the names of the
researchers (Hedrick, Longaker, Guilak, and Katz) one at a
time and see what kind of research papers turn up.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query

Yep, that's what I think..... These guys are researching skin,
and tissue, and cartilage, and fat, and liposuction....
It's their forte.. They are "plastic surgeons"?

Now go to this article....

Another Step Closer to Growing New Brain Cells
for Parkinson's Patients In Animal Study,
Cells Appear Normal; Could Lead to Parkinson's Treatment
By Dan Ferber, PhD
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed by Dr. Charlotte E. Grayson
Feb. 16, 2001
http://my.webmd.com/condition_center_content/prk/article/1728.72667

Now go to Medline Search page and enter the names of the
researchers (Isacson, McKay) one at a
time and see what kind of research papers turn up.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query

Yep, that's right... These guys are scientests who have
dedicated their lives and their life work to solving the
mysteries of a group of chronic neurologic disorders.
They are representitive of the research I'm encouraged will
result in better understanding of Parkinson's, Diabetes,
Alzheimers etc. and research that may lead to better
treatments, reversal of progression, or even a cure!

Now, I'm no expert.  I have no medical or scientific
background or training.  (Just a red-necked mechanic
with Parkinson's) But, by George, if I was in charge
of placing the NIH funds, I would not put all the money
on the lipo-suction boys.  I wouldn't be putting
the fate of 1.5 million Americans with Parkinson's in
their trust.  I sure wouldn't be calling on them to do MY
brain surgery!

I'm just appalled that more folks aren't up in arms
over what seems to this red-necked mechanic to be
a gross distortion of fact.

The lipo-suction boys and fat cells simply do not make
embryonic stem cell research unnecessary and redundant
no matter what spin the LA Times writer may put on them.

It is understandable that the anti-embryonic stem cell groups
would seize upon the headline and use it to their advantage.

But, The LA Times oughta be ashamed of themselves.

The scientific advisors to the President should also be ashamed
of themselves if they don't relay the truth in this matter.

Do the learned professionals on this List feel we should abandon
embryonic stem cell research in favor of this fat cell stuff?

I don't think so!

Now if George W. Bush wants the lipo-suction boys to
do HIS brain surgery, why, that's his business.

I wish I could tell him how I feel about his position, but I'm
a Canadian with no representation in DC...  Obviously, I am
very concerned. After all, a cure is a cure... and abandoning
(or worse yet, banning) promising research is abandonment
and the unkindest denial.

I'd like to hear from the experts on this...

Best regards ............ murray