New Survey Finds Overwhelming Public Support for
Federal Funding of Stem Cell Research

Backing Comes from a Spectrum of Religious Affiliations
and Ethical Perspectives
WASHINGTON, May 23 /PRNewswire/ -- After hearing both sides
of the issue, public support for human embryonic stem cell research
is overwhelming -- 70 percent -- and includes surprisingly strong
backing from fundamentalist Christians and abortion opponents,
according to a national opinion survey released today.

The survey shows solid support for continued federal funding
of stem cell research, which scientists believe may lead to cures
for many deadly diseases, and indicates that President Bush and
members of Congress can reap significant public approval for
decisions that advance the federal commitment to the search for
life-saving medical cures.

"This survey shows beyond a doubt that the American people
have a strong sense of the promise of embryonic stem cell research
and that they want it to go forward," said Lawrence Soler, chairman
of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR).

The Coalition called on the Administration to release federal funds
for all types of stem cell research to the National Institutes of Health,
under the NIH ethics guidelines now in place.

"These results confirm that many Americans feel that this research
holds enormous promise for saving lives, and that we should view it
from a personal perspective rather than a political one because it's
not a pro-life, pro-choice issue.  I agree.  Tens of millions of
Americans -- and my family and I are among them -- know the pain
and loss of cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.  This research
gives us great hope and it deserves our support," said Connie Mack,
former Republican Senator from Florida.

Survey participants were asked their initial opinion of stem cell
research that comes from fertilized eggs.  They then were given
a series of arguments used by both supporters and opponents
of the research.  Seventy-seven percent indicated initial support.
After hearing further arguments on both sides, the results showed
continued, strong overall support -- 70 percent.  Participants
strongly supporting the research outnumbered those strongly
opposed by 3 to 1. Respondents strongly favored NIH funding
for stem cell research by 2.5 to 1.

"Not only do the American people support stem cell research,
but leading scientists, Nobel laureates, and several policymakers
from both sides of the aisle agree that the research is one of the
most promising avenues to curing debilitating diseases.

The Administration should allow federal funding of all types
of this research to go forward immediately," said Mary Tyler
Moore, International Chairman of the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation (JDRF).

Ms. Moore has had juvenile diabetes for over 30 years.

The survey -- designed to extract more detail than in previous
polls about public attitudes toward the role of embryonic stem
cell research -- also showed surprisingly strong support among
participants who described themselves as Catholics, fundamentalist
Christians and abortion opponents.

"Stem cell research holds the promise of hope for 100 million
people living with incurable diseases from diabetes to heart
conditions to Alzheimer's to Parkinson's, ALS, MS, and spinal
cord injury.  It will affect the entire American family," said
Christopher Reeve, Chairman of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis
Foundation, who was spinal cord injured in 1995.

"I believe this is why we find in this new survey such strong
support from people with such diverse religious and ethical beliefs."

Support for the research among Catholics outstripped opposition
by more than 3 to 1 (72 percent to 23 percent) and among fundamentalist
Christians by almost 2.5 to 1 (63 percent to 26 percent).  Both groups
also favored, by wide margins, support by President Bush and
members of Congress for the research.

Among participants describing themselves as pro-life, more than
half favored stem cell research (56 percent) and NIH funding
of the research (57 percent).

The survey of 1,010 adults was conducted May 10-13 by Caravan
OCR International for the Coalition, a group of 49 organizations
and universities involved in seeking cures to such life-threatening
illnesses as cancer, diabetes, Lou Gehrig's disease, Parkinson's
disease, spinal cord injuries and heart disease.

For a summary of the survey results, visit
http://www.stemcellfunding.org .

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-23-2001/0001500565&EDATE=