List Friends,

On 02/12/01, I sent an e-mail to President Bush requesting his support of
Federal funding for stem cell research.  Today, I received a letter of
response, dated May 18.

The letter from President Bush outlined his support of medical research.  He
mentioned his proposal to double the funding for National Institutes of
Health medical research.  He said he has called for an extension of the
Research and Development tax credit to encourage companies to continue
research.

Then, he said, "I oppose Federal funding for stem-cell research that
involves destroying living human embryos."  He went on to say he supports
innovative medical research, including research using adult stem cells.

The bottom line:  strong support of medical research, opposition to Federal
funding of embryonic stem cell research.

Dave Bergford
59 now / 58 dx. / 55 onset