Rayilyn Brown wrote:
> Are there any accounts of what
> happened to folks before meds?

Rayilyn, before medications were developed, the main cause of death was
pneumonia after a few years. The PD progressed, the individual's ability
to move decreased, and eventually he/she became bedfast and developed
pneumonia due to inactivity.

Pneumonia is still a common cause of death; however, people with PD now
live many more years, and more actively, than before PD medications
became available. I recently met a woman of 73 who travels to support
group meetings in her state, speaking and educating others, including
health professionals. She has been politically active for many years,
and enjoys marriage to her wonderful husband, and spending time with
their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. She was
diagnosed with PD at age 25. PD is truly a "designer's disease" -- no
two people ever have the same PD experience. At least, not that I have
encountered thus far.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/