Dear All

Thank You to everyone who has completed the PD/Internet questionnaire,
and for all your thoughts and insights that you have sent me. Thank you
also for your encouraging feedback! I will be sure to send a summary of
the findings to all who have requested one. The Parkinson's Disease
Society have also asked me to share my research with them.

The more people who complete the questionnaire, the better, as it means
i can place more confidence in the significance of my findings. If you
haven't yet completed the questionnaire, but you are interested in
participating in this research, please visit this website:
http://research.soc.staffs.ac.uk/PD/
I'm looking at how using internet support groups such as this one can
affect quality of life for people with PD (including people with
symptoms in the 'PD family'). If anyone out there missed the first
posting, i have repeated it below....

Thank you all once again,
Kind Regards,
Anne-Marie
-----------------------

Hello,

My name is Anne-Marie Turnbull, and I am conducting a Research Project
as part of my training to become a chartered Health Psychologist. The
project is supervised by Professor David White at the Centre for Health
Psychology, Department of Psychology, School of Sciences, Staffordshire
University, England, UK. (www.staffs.ac.uk/sciences/psychology)

The Project: I’m interested in how Internet Communities can influence
health-related quality of life for people with Parkinson’s disease (PD).
It is important to get the views of people with PD in order to get a
better understanding of how people with PD manage their everyday life,
and how the Internet fits in to things.

The Participants: I need as many people as possible who have PD and use
PIEN
(PARKINSN/PDUK) (whether you just read the messages or if you post
messages yourself too) to complete the on-line questionnaire at
http://research.soc.staffs.ac.uk/PD/
There are multichoice questions (just check the boxes or use the
drop-down selection menus), it takes around 15-20 minutes to complete,
and you can take it at your own pace. I hope that you will find the
questions thought provoking and interesting to complete.

The Benefits of this Research: I believe that Internet support groups
such as
PARKINSN/PDUK offer a unique and valuable way to help people cope with
life with PD. Through this research survey I hope to find out more about
exactly what this service means to you and how you use it. This will
enable me to write a report on the benefits of using the Internet to be
submitted to groups and organisations working with people with PD and,
ultimately, to help them to offer more support to reach more people with
PD and their carers.

The Assurance: Participation in this research survey is totally
voluntary. It is completely anonymous and confidential. You will not be
asked to give your name or any details that could identify you. This
research is completely independent and for academic purposes only. If
you have any questions or comments about this research, I would be happy
to answer them, please e-mail me, Anne-Marie, at: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your time and interest in this research. I understand that
many of you will not be able to spare the valuable time or energy to
complete the questionnaire, but if you can and you would like to
participate in this research survey, please click on this website to
complete the questionnaire:
http://research.soc.staffs.ac.uk/PD/

This website will be active until June 17th, when it will be taken
offline at the end of the data collection phase of this research. The
results will then be analysed and a summary of the research will be
available to anyone who would like a copy. If you would like to receive
a summary of the research findings, please e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] and I will ensure that you receive your copy by July
20th.