Royal Society replies
Saturday  May 26, 2001
The Guardian
Madeleine Bunting's view that the debate on embryonic stem cell
research which took place in both Houses of Parliament last year and
again earlier this year was rushed (The debate nobody wants ...
embryology, May 25) is off the mark. The debate followed at least two
years of widespread public debate and extensive activity around the
time of the parliamentary sessions. All shades of public opinion were
considered carefully, including those of the Royal Society, which
supports this vital area of research.

The Royal Society supports Bunting's call for scientists and non-
scientists to listen to each others' views on policy issues involving
science. This is something we are acting on already through our five-
year science in society programme. On the issue of stem   cell research,
the Royal Society will be holding a meeting in June, part of which will
consider the social impact this area of science will have.

Stephen Cox,  Executive secretary Royal Society
• Your report on the Royal Society's depleted uranium study included a
misleading quote that claimed our working group had not received
evidence from veterans (Study plays down cancer fears over depleted
uranium weapons, May 23). In fact, we invited the veterans' groups to
give evidence at the outset of our independent study in January 2000.
We agreed to their proposal to meet the chief scientific adviser to the
Gulf war veterans, who also provided us with written evidence.

Prof Brian Spratt,  Royal Society

http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,3604,496759,00.html