Dear Friends
For some time things gave been unsettled, and I've not written to PIEN, but
now I think we are on track in planning for Peter's care.
Some of you know that, after moving to a nursing home  (NH)by his own
choice on May 8th, he was there only 10 days, due to a bad paranoid
episode, and was admitted to the geriatric psych unit in a Cincinnati, Ohio
hospital---an hour's drive from home.
The first goal was to stabilize and adjust his meds, in part because the NH
had difficulty keeping on time with his every 2 hours round the clock
schedule.  The normal problems with a move which a  late stage PWP would
have were of course accelerated by his increasing dementia.   He entered
the hospital weighing 120 lbs (normal weight 145) and in the week he was
there lost another 5 lbs, due to refusal to eat.  He also refused meds
frequently.
Because we had discussed his very detailed Medical Directive many times
over the years--even before PD-- I realized he was deliberately not eating,
the only remaining control he had over his life, and  an indication of his
wish not to live in that condition.  He confirmed this, and thanked me for
understanding, and for keeping my long-time promise to respect his wishes.
Next he was transferred to an inpatient  Hospice unit in the same hospital,
where he continued to regress, and at times became very agitated, requiring
Ativan to calm him.  His meds were changed, and  they worked for more than
a week to stabilize him, in the hope he could return home.  I had even
lined up aides for part-time help, along with Hospice services.
Last Saturday it was a blow to learn that with a  diagnosis of "end stage
dementia"  he was too  combative at times to be safely cared for at home.
Fortunately, a bed was available in a small, homey local NH, where our
daughters and I can visit him daily, and about which I've had many
excellent reports.  He is to be transferred there by ambulance in
mid-afternoon today....only 15 minutes from home.
While the moves have added to our problems, I know the end result would
have been the same, perhaps not so soon.  Dementia, of course, is
incurable, and symptoms can only  at times be moderated.  We will do what
we can......

BTW-- when I learned that his Hospice diagnosis did NOT mention PD I asked
that this be added, in the hope that more accurate statistics about PD can
be obtained.  I suggest  this be made clear to any doctors we work with. So
often cause of death appears as "pneumonia" when the underlying cause was
aspiration due to PD.
Also, please rememnber that only about 1/3 of PWPs get dementia--it is not
a given for everyone.
If anyone wishes to send him a card, the address is :

        Peter Flintermann, 4166 Somerville, OH  45064

Thanks again for your support through all this--I hope the sharing will be
helpful to others.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 83/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at   http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html
           and also at   http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at http://www.pdcaregiver.org