It is useful to point out, as does the article "Embryonic stem cell
debate is more than science vs. religion", that along with the
religious issue there is a whole context of policy issues -- What
limits should be placed on the commodification of donated human body
parts?  How can the direction and conduct of scientific and medical
research be properly determined in a capitalist society that involves
"patents, products and profits?" -- etc.

Being a citizen I understand the need to resolve policy questions in
the presence of technology that is racing ahead.

However, being a patient with a serious disease I also understand the
urgency to find treatments and cures.  The article does not take into
account the patient's position, and there are millions of us.

Analyzing, debating and resolving all the stem cell and other policy
issues in the current political climate will take years.  The time
between the present state of research and future treatments will also
be years.  As an article in today's Boston Globe indicates,
researchers are being discouraged from entering the stem cell field
by the uncertainty over funding.  We can't afford to defer the
research until policies are complete while real patients suffer and
die.  These activities can proceed in parallel.  If we must err on
policy, let's err on the side of the patients.

Phil Tompkins
Amherst, MA