Wednesday, 30 May, 2001, 12:18 GMT 13:18 UK
Superman actor sues Bush officials
Paralysed actor Christopher Reeve has joined forces with scientists and
is using the courts to try to overturn a US government decision to halt
funding for stem cell research.

The lawsuit they have filed says that the Bush administration is doing
"irreparable harm" to the prospects of producing new therapies for many
killer diseases.

Reeve is a leading advocate of medical research in the US.

The US government has ordered a review of the issues surrounding
stem cell use, and has stopped all its funding of research projects while
this is undertaken.

The review was introduced in response to ethical fears over the
harvesting of stem cells from embryos left-over after fertility treatments,
and from aborted foetuses.

Stem cell therapies are considered promising in a number of different
diseases, such as Parkinson's Disease, stroke and even certain forms of
diabetes.

They are the body's "master cells", capable of growing into various
different cell types. Doctors believe they could eventually prove a ready
source of cells to replace those destroyed by disease.

Research advocate
However, there have been few, if any, trials in humans which have
shown a clear benefit to the patient.

Christopher Reeve, left paralysed by a horse-riding accident, played the
cartoon hero Superman in four movies.

He has been highly supportive of stem cell research, even though his
type of injury is not the prime area of current interest in stem cell
research.

He has predicted that scientific advances will allow him to walk again at
some point, and his own charitable foundation is helping fund some
research into spinal cord injury.

His and the other scientist's attorney, Jeffrey Martin, said: "We are not
suggesting that the administration should begin funding projects
immediately.

"We just want the process to move forward quickly, and with
consideration of existing laws. We do not want delay because of
politics."

The lawsuit claims that Bush officials have omitted administrative
procedures necessary to halt research that federal statutes have made
legal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1359000/1359914.stm