Lincoln Journal Star
May 30th, 2001
Report endorsing stem cell research submitted
The Associated Press
OMAHA -- Research using human stem cells should be allowed with
proper ethical and scientific review, the University of Nebraska's
Bioethics committee said in its final report.

Sixteen of the committee's 21 members endorsed stem cell research,
and two minority reports were submitted.

The minority reports argue that such research should not be
conducted under any circumstance and that any related research
should only use adult stem cells.

The committee, which included lawyers, doctors, scientists and
religious leaders, tried to determine when an embryo should be
valued as a human being.

"It is not surprising that the committee was unable to reach a
consensus on a single set of recommendations," said UNL
Chancellor Harvey Perlman, who led the committee. "I wish to
acknowledge the diligence and depth of commitment of all the
committee members who struggled to learn the science and
engage their personal values in the formulation of the
recommendations."

The report goes to NU President L. Dennis Smith for review,
but Smith said he would not take any action until a federal review
of stem cell research currently being done is complete.

"The fact that the members could not develop unanimous
recommendations indicates their attitudes mirror those of the
general population," Smith said. "I believe the majority
recommendations, that we continue to conduct research using
adult stem cells and apply very strict conditions and restraints
to any future use of human embryonic stem cells, reflect the
views of most Nebraskans."

The Bioethics Advisory Committee was formed after it was
revealed in late 1999 that the medical center was using fetal
tissue from elective abortions for research into Alzheimer's
and other diseases.

http://update.journalstar.com/stories/5